About Me

I am a mother of three very hungry, busy boys. A Wife to a helicopter pilot and my most amazing support and sponsor of my triathlon lifestyle! I am the owner of Perseverance Multisport Coaching in Whistler, BC. I coach athletes competing in short to long course distance triathlons. I started racing triathlon in 2003 in my first sprint distance race and gradually worked my way up to the Ironman level racing. This past July, I completed my 9th Ironman Canada race! In 2009, My goal one day is to qualify for Ironman Hawaii World Championships and show my boys that with a lot of commitment, hard work and determination "Anything is Possible"! I hope that I can instill the love of sport and living life to its fullest every day to my boys and to everyone I am able to share my healthy triathlon lifestyle with!

Thursday, July 9, 2009

I love my bike!!!!!

Comox Valley Cycle Club's Wednesday Night TT's!



Yes, I did get some new wheels... I had to. They were on sale, and Simon at "Simon's Cycle's" told me it was a deal I could not pass up. My first race on them was the Victoria New Balance Half Iron. Man, news travels fast. I arrived at the Wednesday night TT following the race and was swarmed by the the guys and them quoting my splits from the race and my 4 minute improvement on my bike split from last year. I'd like to take the credit for the improvement, but the "Techy" speed demons think it has to be the wheels. Well, I will take whatever these wheels will give me. My next TT, I took off 19 seconds. Then last night was our 32 km, 2 loop course route. My best time on this course was a 26:04 for one loop (16.1 Km). Last night was my first time doing the 32 km. As we were getting ready to start, I had huge butterflies, and I was so nervous. The guys that start after me, usually pass me by the half way mark, and fly by me like I'm standing still. I always have this thing that if I am going to ride a fancy bike and fancy wheels, I better do them proud! I passed a few of the younger riders on the first loop, made it around to the start of the next loop and had not been passed yet. I started to get a bit nervous and thought, maybe they knew something... Maybe I went out too fast, and now I am going to blow up on the second loop. Just shortly after my mind was starting to wander thinking about why the men were not hot on my butt, and the hills started again, the first one came by me, as per usual. Except, this was not one of the guys I expected. He is like half my age and was on a road bike!! No fancy wheels, no aero helmet, no TT bike. Just pure strength. I paced myself up the hilly section, and found myself still close enough to that young whipper snipper, that I decided to put on the game face, and push like I have never pushed before. I always read about racers pushing till they puke, or till their legs are totally cramped, so I told myself to suck it up and real him back in. Within seconds I was on his butt, and yelling at him "on your left"!!!! Oh my god, did that ever feel good! He looked at me like I had two heads. I peddled so hard, I did not want to see him again! Just as we were starting to make our way back towards the finish, I had a few of the fast guys pass me as I was expecting, but this time, I didn't let a lot of space get between us and held on (not drafting) as best I could. My final split for the night... 54:40!... I'll take that.
Have I told you lately how much "I love my bike"!!! Oh, and yes, the new wheels! Every time I get on my Cervelo, I get so excited to see how much time I can take off, and I am so looking forward to seeing how Ironman Canada will go this year. The last two years were plagued with injuries from my "Snow to Surf" crash and my ankle roll over last year. This year, so far, so good. 52 more sleeps until the big day! I am in a recovery week and feeling anxious to be doing more, but, I am listening to coach, being good, and letting the last week of training sink in and make me stronger. If any of you have a local cycle club that has regular TT nights, I believe those have helped me immensely in my improvement in my cycling. They make you push harder than you would normally, and you break down those cells in your lungs to build up stronger for the next time. I have had my normal post "TT smoker cough" since last night. A good indication that I gave'r my all out there! Happy Training!!!
Swim-Bike-Run-Eat-Sleep-Swim-Bike-Run...!

No comments: