I know, I know, it has been exactly a week since my 40th, but this is the first time I have sat down since!!!! Thank you so much to everyone that called, sent cards, emails, surprise visits at my work (Trish & Sandy came with wine!) and helped me celebrate the BIG 4-0!!! To celebrate my birthday this year.... I WORKED! Yes, woo hoo! Day shift at the hospital. Thankfully, it was only 7-3pm and I was able to go home and hang out with my Mom and Dad, Shawn, and my boys! They were great. The boys decorated with lots of 'black' and we dined on Gramma Connie's famous Ribs for dinner. Oh yeah, and lots of wine and chocolate cake. What more could a girl want!...
To commemorate my last 40 years, I sat down and made a list of 40 very special memories that I have and am so thankful for. It is long, I hope you enjoy!
- Saving my brother, when he fell off a bridge into a creek, when he was four.
- At nine years of age, moving to Saudi Arabia, and living there for the next 7 years.
- Flying for the first time, First Class, on a 747 jet airplane from Houston, Texas to Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.
- Travelling in a VW Van with my brother, Grandma Gamracy, and parents for a month in Europe.
- Climbing the "Leaning Tower of Pisa" with my grandma.
- Walking in the tunnels and mazes where the Romans kept the lions and slaves in the bottom of the Roman Colosseum.
- Touring the Vatican, seeing the Sistine Chapel, and Michelangelo's paintings on the ceilings.
- Floating in a Gondola down the canals of Venice.
- Standing under the Eiffel Tower.
- Driving by the 'Arc de Triomphe ' at least 5 times while my parents fought over directions in Paris, France. Yes, we did finally get out of the van and walk around the monument.
- Climbing inside the Pyramids of Egypt.
- Climbing up to the Parthenon in Athens, Greece.
- Touring China with 27 other 15 year old teens for a month.
- Hiking "The Great Wall of China".
- Seeing the life size "Terracotta Soldier Army" in Shi Huangdi's tomb in China just after they opened it to the public in 1984.
- Having a "Roman Candle" war across a lake with Chinese teens just after they celebrated their Chinese New Year.
- Snorkeling with my friends in the Persian Gulf.
- Getting my driver's licence on my 16th birthday!
- My first date with Shawn, October 18th, 1986!
- My high school Graduation! (It was all about the dress!!)
- Going to the "U2" concert in 1987!!!
- Spending 72 days at sea as a deck hand on a 50 foot Salmon Troller boat with an 'all girl crew' and bringing in a record 75,000 lbs of Salmon! It was the most brought in ever by a freezer boat! Ha! Girls rule, boys drool!
- Graduating from Nursing School with honors!
- My wedding day, July 3rd, 1993!
- Our honeymoon to Hawaii (Jan 1994) and taking a pregnancy test the morning after we arrived.... It was POSITIVE!
- The pregnancy and birth of Jordan Shawn!
- My second pregnancy and birth of Nathan Brian!
- The third pregnancy and birth of Braydan John!
- Helping my best friend (Sarah Graham) deliver her second child Gabe!
- Attending the wedding of Kurt and Misty (my brother and his wife) Just love her!!!
- When we surprised the boys and told them we were going to Alaska and took them to Disneyland!
- Competing in my first sprint distance triathlon!
- Spending time with and caring for my Grandma and Grandpa Stirling before they passed away.
- Taking our boys to Maui in December 1994!
- Moving our family to Vancouver Island!
- Qualifying for and racing in the Age Group World Championships in Honolulu, Hawaii in 2005!
- Completing my first Half Ironman in Oliver, BC in 2005!
- Completing my first full Ironman in Penticton, BC in 2006!
- Chosen as a "Home Grown Hero" and being featured on a BC Lottery ticket!
- Attending Shawn's younger brother's wedding to Kyla in Sept 2007! Absolutely love her too!!!
OK, so maybe I have a few more than 40 memorable moments... One being our trip to Vegas last year with Shawn's parents to celebrate Shawn's 40th birthday and our family vacation to Arizona!
Here's hoping I have another 40! more memories to share in the next 40 years!!!